E. Malone, the young assistant of Professor Elise Starseeker who was hired to film the Un’Goro expedition showed us the first part of his journal. There are a lot of informations hidden to speculate upon which we, Nicholas a.k.a. hsdecktech and Martin a.k.a. OtakuMZ, will dive into in this article. Before we start, here are the two pages he revealed to us:
Day 1- City of Stormwind
- E. Malone is the assistant of Elise Starseeker, will he be a neutral low cost Legendary. He is “filming” the trip, so maybe he captures enemy cards and duplicates them in a smaller version similar to Barnes?
- Prof. George Herbert Doyle the IV might be a card or just a filler to start the story with. He might be a Legendary though, the one who pulls all the strings from the base in Stromwind. No clue what effect he could have, but more likely he is not a card at all and serves just to get the story rollin’.
- Galvadon will most likely be a beast Legendary dinosaur. We expect a 7-mana or higher minion with an AoE or devouring effect. It also confirms once more that dinosaurs will carry the “Beast” tag (not “Dragon”).
- Rewards at every turn is another hint to the Quest mechanic.
Day 5 – City of Gadgetzan
The whole paragraph is a tongue-in-cheek reference to the Mean Streets of Gadgetzan expansion.
- Mugged by tiny pirates: Small-Time Buccaneer meta and his nerf.
- Kaza Kola is delicious: Potions were a success.
- Voted for Kazakus: Kazakus, which the developers hint will be still relevant after the rotation.
- Glad to be leaving: Even the developers seem to eagerly await the new meta.
It will be interesting to see if the references to Stormwind and Gadgetzan are just flavorful mentions to emphasize the “journey” part of Hourney to Un’Goro, or if these references mean that the set will include characters from these locations as well as the crater. Gadgetzan is of particular interest because the team has stated that we will not get additional tri-class cards in Un’Goro, but that they expected the tri-class themes to get some additional support.
Day 6 – Un’Goro Crater Rim
- Volcano, the new Shaman card was already revealed.
- New card Jeweled Macaw hinted. It will be a beast synergy cards and could be either like Jeweled Scarab (discover a dangerous (5/6-mana or higher) beast; but there is already Tomb Spider) or Captain’s Parrot (draw a Beast from your deck). The bird will be a Beast and likely low costed. There is more to speculate regarding this card below…
- Professor Starseeker could be an alternate Elise card of the like we already saw for Healbot, Doomsayer, Hogger, Ragnaros and Deathwing. If so, we call a neutral late-game affecting Legendary minion.
Edit: as it turns out this speculation is already confirmed (source)
Day 6 ¾ – Expedition Camp
- Jeweled Macaw. The first paragraph leads to a totally different possibility. The Macaws could be over-statted cheap minion with a downside Deathrattle rewarding you opponent with a beast, either from his deck, stated on the Macaw, or randomly generated.
- Huge Butterfly could be another new beast card. Since it was distracting Elise during her warnings about life-and-death (obviously, an important topic and also one in which she specifically tells the children to be mindful of beautiful things) the Butterfly might have taunt or be extremely important (perhaps part of a Quest?).
- Plant minions are likely. These could be Taunts or minions that are not able to attack. If they appear, some will surely have Poisonous.
- Dinosaurs (e.g. Verdant Longneck) and Elementals were already announced, but what or who are the “natives”? In WoW, there are gorillas, Oozes, Silithids and Golems inhabiting Un’Goro Crater. Also, some unique characters live here, among them are:
Old legends revolve Un’Goro Crater of being the home of the Titans themselves: “Fascinating, this coincides with theories of Un’Goro being the home of the Titans when they inhabited Kalimdor. Perhaps Aman’Thul himself watched over ‘The God Lands’. Hrm, curious…” (source). I will get exciting as you can see. We are eager to see more teasers / journal entries and find out more about the upcoming Journey to Un’Goro expansion.